Below you find our frequently asked questions. If your question is not included on this list, please contact us on 020 810 07 80 or

General questions

Where do I find Lemon-Group Company Information?

You can find all documents in the ‘DOWNLOADS’ tab at the top of our homepage

You use multiple e-mailadresses, where do I send my documents?

Lemon Group has 3 e-mail addresses:

  • > exclusively for documents concerning your contract or personal information.
  • > exclusively for your signed werkbon and invoice and parking costs.
  • > for questions about payment

I’m ill/sick and unable to work, what number do I contact?

If you are unable to work due to an illness, please call 06 12 29 91 23.
SMS or What’sapp messages will not be accepted!

Do I need a VCA Certificate to work at Lemon Group?

We highly recommend you to be VCA certified, as an increasing number of clients requires all skilled workers to be VCA certified., 
However, if you are not VCA certified yet, Lemon Group can help you to get your VCA certificate or find you a job which does not require VCA certification.

Questions for personnel

When can I expect payment for my work?

Please send us your werkbon BEFORE Wednesday to have us transfer your money Thursday the next week.

Where do I send my signed werkbon?

Email your signed werkbon to: Please do so BEFORE Tuesday 12:00 the following week. If you fail to do so, your payment might be delayed. A werkbon without signature will not be accepted by our administration!

When can I expect my work-contract?

After receiving your complete application, you will be send a work contract within 48 hours. Please make sure your application includes:
• Copy of your ID (front and back)
• Name, address and city of residence
• Mobile phone number & e-mail address
• Sofi number/BSN number (social security number)
• Valid VCA Certificate

Please note: without a work contract you will not be able to receive payment. You will receive the work contract by e-mail. This work contracts needs to be signed digitally on your smartphone.

I would like to work with Lemon Group, how do I apply?

Please send your application to You can find this application in DOWNLOADS > SKILLED WORKERS. If approved, Lemon Group will contact you and send you a work contract within 48 hours.

Questions for ZZP (self employed)

When can I expect payment of my invoice?

In our standard procedure, transfers for payment are made every 4 weeks. If you would like to reduce this time by 3, 2 or even 1 week, we can arrange this at a small fee. Please contact us for more information on the possibilities.

Where do I send my invoice?

Please send your invoice together with your signed werkbon, as soon as possible to

Do I get a refund for the parking costs of my car?

This depends on the agreement with our client. Contact us about the agreement if you have any question. If there is an agreement, please include the parking expenses on your weekly invoice. Note that we need a copy of the parking ticket or online payments for parking, otherwise we cannot refund the parking expenses.

I want to join the Lemon Group workforce, what do I do?

Lemon Group mediates construction jobs for ZZP’ers (self- employed) through a ‘bemiddelingsovereenkomst’ (mediation contract).

This mediation contact is followed by an ‘Opdracht van Werk’ (work-contract) per project.

 In order to complete these documents we need from you:

• Copy of your ID (front and back)
• Uittreksel van Kamer van Koophandel (extract of your Chamber of Commerce registration)
• BTW-nummer (VAT number, also available through Kamer van Koophandel)
• Copy of your Aansprakelijkheidsverzekering (liability insurance)
• Valid VCA Certificate

Once we have these documents, we will send you your contracts within 48 hours.

If your question is not included on this list

please contact us on 020 810 07 80 or